The island – formerly known as Imvros – has a small Greek community and the Greek high school was closed in the 1970s due to lack of students. However, as of September 28, it will reopen to accomodate 10 Greek students.
Vice chairman of the Imvrians Educational and Cultural Association Ioakim Makis Kambouropoulos announced the reopening of the school to reporters.
A primary school for Greek children was opened in 2013 and the renovation of the high school building was recently finished.
The island was mostly populated by Greeks before the population exchange between Greece and Turkey in 1923.