An exhibition of manuscripts on parchment and paper from the collection of the Albanian State’s Central Archive is organized in Tirana by the Hellenic Foundation of Culture, the Albanian States Archive, the Cultural Foundation of the National Bank of Greece and the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania.
The exhibition presents 33 manuscripts from the 6th until the 19th century: original manuscripts (lectionaries, gospels, etc.) dated from 150 to 1500 years. These decorated remains of the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Greek script are accompanied by photographic material, through which interior leaves of manuscripts are exposed; specimens of writing are indicated as well as the different colours of inks, the binding and its decoration.
“The manuscripts of the Albanian State’s Central Archive” – according to the accompanying publication – “include texts offering information about the scholarly and popular culture of the region, creations of esthetic and artistic value (miniatures, artistic initial letters, silver covers, etc.) and informative material about the importance of renowned Albanian cities in the past, such as Korçe (Koritsa), Berat (Berati), Durres (Dyrrhachion), Gjirokaster (Argyrokastron), Vlore (Avlona), etc.
The organizing committee of the exhibition consists of the members:
Agamemnon Tselikas, Director of the Centre for History and Paleography of the National Bank of Greece, Cultural Foundation
Dr. Nevila Nika, General Director of the General Directorate of Albanian Archives
George Giakoumis, Director of the Centre of the Hellenic Foundation for Culture in Tirana
P. Ioustinos Efthimiadis, archimandrite of the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania
Opening on April 23, 2010, at 18:30 hrs
April 23 – May 22, 2010, open daily 10:00 – 13:00 and 17:00 – 19:30 hrs.
Exhibition hall of the Albanian State’s Central Archive
Rruga “Jordan Misja” – Tirana Tel/Fax:+355 4 22 79 59.
[email protected] [email protected]